Saturday, February 14, 2009

Question

This is a question I wish to ask a lot of people (especially the ones who have moved to the US - or, for that matter, moved far enough distances). I haven't had the opportunity to ask many, so I decided to put it up on the blog (makes an excuse for a post in quite a while, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be of much help).

For people who have moved a considerable distance (or to a significantly different place), how long has it taken for your dreams to move in with you? i.e. how long from the time you moved to a significantly different place, did the new place and people/places/objects associated with the place start appearing in your dreams?

The question is very vague, and I understand it is very difficult for a person to give a proper answer to this (maybe a ballpark estimate would be informative). Not many people have even given me an answer to this question.

For me, my dreams moved in a little less than a week. For one of my friends who gave me an answer, the moving hasn't happened yet.

5 comments:

Shankar said...

nice question :)

less than a month for me .... at least ..... soon after i got here .. i was confused with keep right ... terribly .... i remember a dream where i was in a bus and the traffic was keeping right :) :P

but there are days when i still dream of iitm and days before that .... sometimes i dream of both my iitm friends and school friends together attending classes in my old school. when i wake up, i just wonder how that happens.

this comment is making me nostalgic :)

Hari Vishnu said...

my dreams are still stuck in india :) (and some even in dubai).. they havent got the flight to spore yet ..

cant be sure though.. i dont remember most of my dreams nowadays..

its shady.. hmm.. but y the q anyways ?

Mahesh Mahadevan said...

Ah, mirroring is not an orthogonal transformation :-)

I too share the feelings of some dreams still in IITM, school, home etc. The question was to see how fast and how much the transition to another place happens (awaiting kicks and "Thu" remarks from Pota) subconsciously. I suppose (statistically) the effects are more pronounced when you move really far.

I guess (and I maintain, guess) the reason for dreams related to IITM, school etc are because the brain has to recycle stuff from the memory to create these dreams; and depending on how intense the connection was there, you would see more of it.

Marlin Jar said...

-30 days.

Two nights ago I dreamt I was in the States (after chatting for an hour with a close pal who had just landed in Texas) -- but it'll be four weeks before I take off thither.

And no, I've never been out of this country before.

Unknown said...

I call Madison my home now, but I can't honestly recall a single dream I've had that was based here. Or at Madras. My dreams seem to be stuck at home and in school, if not in distant planets and mythic times and other nondescript locations.