Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sunny Days are on, and so is Haymaking

I know this is more than cliched, but then, somehow, some of the happiness just needs an outlet :-)
Spoiler (courtesy ~Makam (and the tilde is intentional) ): and now you may proceed...

The day had finally come, albeit under a lot of tension (most of which might have been unnecessary). I had almost never thought out an event before to such maniacal level of detail and exhaustion. But since the stakes are high, I had to plant enough daisies to push. One interesting bit of the boring detail that was unnecessary, but nevertheless planned: if it were (in a finite probability) to be an unfavorable result, I was ready to finish most of the depression in a blog post to have been titled 'The Longest Day', 'A Midsummer Nightmare' and the likes (and I did have an (R-Q) fear that the post titles were ominously fitting the probable negative outcome). As you probably would have figured out, it was indeed perilously close to this.

But ah, fortunately, life doesn't always favor neurotic fears of befitting blog post titles, and hence, it has boiled down to a not-so-perfect (but cheerful indeed) Sunny Days (I certainly don't intend any reference to any book). And now is the time to let 2 months pass by doing nothing. Stay at home, doing nothing, gaining weight to the happiness of parents (and yet, much to my own chagrin). And I can't overstate this, but if I hadn't got internet, I would have been choking by now - it has indeed become one of the primary requirements in life. 'Pah!' it is, to the old Roti-Kapda-Makaan. It might as well be Leftovers-Rags-Streetside but not without high speed internet please! It is quite apt, especially when one realizes one is going to be at the bottom of the food chain for the next few years :-) Hurrah for the underdwellers that we are going to be (of course, god alone knows how the situation would change when you're half a day behind, but history seems to support the assertion).

One of the things that I have absolutely loathed after coming is the apparent hip-value being assigned to FM radio in Cochin. Why would it suddenly become the "new revolution" when the thing was invented and well in prominence decades ago!? One can be rather sure that half the (educated, as it goes for Kerala, as if that makes a difference) population does not have a clue what FM stands for (not that they need to know). Before, when one was travelling by the city buses, one needn't have to listen to anything but for competing musical horns and the constant so-fast-you-can't-make-out-a-syllable shouting of the bus destination and route by the cleaner/conductor. But now, you have to listen to some imbecile blithering nonsense (the redundancy here is intentional, it is that bad) to an even-worse caller calling into the show to gossip about god-knows-what. Oh, the horror! On this note, I can't forget to mention something that passed while watching the excessive advertising that's been given to these stations. One of them is called Radio Mango. I can't imagine who came up with the bright flourescent orange color for a mango (!) for the logo of the station. Please, the last time I saw that was on some highschool girl's (or effeminate guy's) history textbook or on sidewalk advertisements for Royal Circus and the likes. Further, where on earth do you have orange mangoes? Is this mango having an identity crisis? I'm astounded by the amazing advertising skills of the Malayali youth :-)

Some other random thoughts that I add due to impulse:
1. I'm rather sad that The Undertaker is out of the WWE (atleast for now). The man has always been a pleasure to watch (one very noteworthy occasion being 10 minutes before an end-semester exam). Despite his age, the man always manages to get to you with his feats of strength and atheleticism. And simply with his presence in the ring.
2. Hurrah for the Ferrari 1-2. It was fun watching Kimi somehow push the car all the way despite that hideous damage to the exhaust pipe section. I still miss Herr Schumacher, but then you can't deny that there is some class among the present drivers too.
3. As I might have already told some of you being bored on Google chat, college has made me averse to anything on TV but for Sports and some History Channel/Discovery Travel & Living. If I'm watching a movie or a sitcom, I have the compulsive urge to reach out for a non-existent spacebar when I feel like taking a snack, and arrow keys when commercials are on. Computers have sure spoiled us :-P
4. Vettiness prevails!

4 comments:

Makam said...

If I'm watching a movie or a sitcom, I have the compulsive urge to reach out for a non-existent spacebar ...

ROFLMAO!

Sandy said...

the non-existant spacebar line takes it all way!

Hari Vishnu said...

hehe, yea that line was a catcher..

looks like someone is totally jobless at home in kochi now:-)..

SpankMac said...

1. "Radio Mango" - LOL
2. Didn't know you watch WWE :-) (I don't, in case you're wondering. I only used to, long back when Razor Ramon and Papa Shango and other brilliant entertainers were there.)
3. You and your ferrari! Looks like Silverstone showed you guys.
4. That point about reaching for the non-existent spacebar - Haha, have to agree. I mildly miss those TV shows though.